The first line of David Goggins’s book You Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds reads:
Do you know who you really are and what you’re capable of?
That line hit me all sorts of ways. Mostly because … do I? Do I know who I really am and what I’m capable of?
Maybe that’s why we end up stuck in the first place.
- Because we’ve become so consumed with living, we forgot what it means to be alive.
- Because we’ve settled in life (for how we thought we were supposed to live).
- Because the minute we face hardship or struggle, we cut ties and run back to the safety and security of our former/current life, even though it’s not the life we want anymore.
- Because we forget to ask ourselves what we want out of life.
- Because we continually refuse to ask for it and/or go after it.
- Because we forgot who we actually are.
Maybe this whirlwind of confusion, stress, anxiety, stuck, etc. is life’s gentle (or not so gentle, as the case may be) nudging towards showing us what we are capable of.
If only we’d listen.